Feel the thrill of a 600-ton vessel carving through the ocean as you travel the world.
In 2021 Class Afloat has moved to the Class ‘A’ tall ship ALEXANDER von HUMBOLDT II (the ALEX-2) after 6 years aboard the Gulden Leeuw, Class Afloat students will be engaged in every aspect of tall ship sailing aboard the ALEX-2, from voyage planning to setting a course, organizing watch duties, setting the sails and steering the ship.
No sailing experience is required to enrol as a Class Afloat student.
The goal of our sail training program is to equip students with the knowledge and skills required to take full command of the ship under the watchful eye of our captain and 22 skilled mariner crew. Students perform duty on deck for 2 hours of day watch and 2 hours of night watch each day.
- Take the helm and feel the thrill of a 500-ton vessel carving through the ocean at 12knots as you sail your tall ship over 18,000 nautical miles (over 35,000km)
- Lay aloft and set the sails to travel with a reduced carbon footprint
- Work alongside professional sailors as you learn to sail your tall ship
- Work as part of a team by setting sails, navigating and working in the galley. Keep day and night watch alongside a professional mariner crew
- Learn contemporary navigation skills
- Undertake a blue water sailing experience most sailors will never experience
ALEXANDER von HUMBOLDT II is a three-masted Barque.
YEAR BUILT: 2011, Bremerhaven Germany
STATE FLAG: Germany
OVERALL LENGTH: 65 Mtr. (213ft)
MAST HEIGH 32.9m (108 ft)
GROSS TONNAGE: 763
Sail Training Organization of the Year
Awarded by Sail Training International, Gulden Leeuw was the sail training organisation that demonstrated excellence in ‘innovation’ and ‘best practice’ in sail training for young people.