Join us for one of the most unique and powerful education experiences in the world.
More than 2,000 Class Afloat students from around the world have had the unique and life-changing experience of completing academic courses while sailing a majestic tall ship; developing as individuals, excelling as leaders, forging lifelong friendships, and exploring the world.
If you would like to learn more about how to become one of these Class Afloat students, please review the admissions information contained in this section or contact us at any time.
We would be happy to answer your questions about our programs and admissions process.
Our alumni and families are keen to talk about their Class Afloat experience and no one can tell the Class Afloat story better than they can. We will gladly put you in touch with an alumni or alumni family member in your area who can share their experience.
Applications are now being accepted for the 2023-24 & future school years
2023-2024 Tuition Fees
|2023-2024||Canadian Students||International Students|
|Single Semester||$41,000 CAD||$46,000 CAD|
|Full Year||$61,000 CAD||$67,000 CAD|
|2022-2023||Canadian Students||International Students|
|Single Semester||$30,202 USD||$33,885 USD|
|Full Year||$43,093 USD||$47,881 USD|
|2022-2023||Canadian Students||International Students|
To apply to Class Afloat – West Island College International, please
follow the link to our online application. Students will be asked to submit:
- Application form
- Application fee ($200 CAD)
- 300 word essay describing what the applicant expects to gain from their Class Afloat experience and how he/she will contribute to the school community
- Applicant’s personal résumé
- Two references (examples: teacher, coach, employer)
- Copy of all transcripts from grade 9 to present (including current term report card)
- Medical form, including blood type – completed and returned to Class Afloat by a physician
- Certified lifeguard’s attestation that the candidate can swim 200 meters followed by 20 minutes of treading water
- Once the online application process is complete, someone from the admissions department will contact the applicant for a Zoom interview.
- The interview lasts 20-30 minutes and is designed to determine the applicant’s suitability for the Class Afloat program.
- A second, follow-up interview may be arranged.
- Those applicants who truly wish to join Class Afloat and whose values and behaviour will align with a group of responsible young people will be offered admissions acceptance and invited to join.
- Following a successful application and interview(s), Class Afloat will issue an acceptance letter and contract, as well as an Acknowledgement of Risk Statement, and International Travel Consent of Parent/Guardian Form
- The contract and forms must be signed and returned to Class Afloat within three weeks, along with the registration deposit (as outlined in the contract).
- After Class Afloat receives the signed contract and deposit, the student will receive our Parent and Student Handbook. Students must complete and return the required pre-voyage forms included in the Handbook and provide additional required documentation. Class Afloat will also provide information about how to obtain textbooks, uniforms, and insurance.
- Class Afloat is in regular contact with our students and their families to provide advice and assistance to prepare for a year on Class Afloat.
Scholarships Please note that scholarships are available to prospective students applying for one semester or the entire academic school year.
Class Afloat Foundation Scholarships
Successful Class Afloat applicants may apply to the Class Afloat Foundation for a financial need scholarship.
Established in 2012, the Class Afloat Foundation operates as an independent body maintaining an arms length relationship to the school in all matters relating to setting scholarship criteria, assessment of applicants and making awards. The Foundation is a registered charitable organization in Canada and the US, dedicated to supporting young people who want to make a difference on our planet.
The Foundation awards scholarships to students with a demonstrated financial need. In assessing scholarship applications, the Foundation evaluates intellectual and personal achievement in terms of leadership, commitment to volunteer service, physical vigour and academic success.
The number and amount of each scholarship award will be determined according to the success of the Foundation at meeting its annual fundraising targets. As a guide, past scholarship awards funded not more than half the annual Class Afloat full year tuition fee.
The Foundation has made a commitment to raise funds to support applicants who have a demonstrated need for financial assistance to participate in Class Afloat.
Please visit the Class Afloat Foundation website for more information on how to apply for a Class Afloat Foundation Scholarship.
Application Deadline: February 1st, 2023
The Class Afloat Foundation will announce the award recipients by March 1st, 2023.
Young Sailor Scholarships
Class Afloat offers a limited number of ‘Young Sailor Scholarships’ to support students in the extraordinary educational experience of attending high school, Gap Year or taking University courses, while sailing a majestic tall ship. Class Afloat Young Sailor Scholarships may be awarded to young sailors who best demonstrate the values of excellence, integrity, community, teamwork, accountability, respect, commitment and achievement in his or her sailing and academic life.
To be eligible for this scholarship, candidates must submit:
- A reference letter from a sailing school, yacht club or sail training program coach or captain
- A letter of intent, outlining that they: have demonstrated leadership in their school, sailing club and community; are willing and capable to participate fully onboard the vessel and in the classroom; are willing to send voyage updates, testimonials, videos and photographs that can be published by Class Afloat, if required
Candidates may choose to send documents in conjunction with or following their application to Class Afloat.
Please submit documents to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Deadline: May 15, 2023
Scholarship Announcement: May 22, 2023
Tall Ships America Scholarships
Tall Ships America offers two scholarships, the Henry H. Anderson, Jr. Sail Training Scholarships and the Ernestine Bennett Memorial Sail Training Scholarships.
Though the amounts of these scholarships are limited, applicants to Class Afloat are eligible for consideration. Applications are assessed four times each year.
Other Financial Aid and Scholarship Resources
Financial Aid and Scholarship opportunities may be available through private and/or charitable organizations in your community. This information can usually be obtained through your school’s Guidance Department. Local Service Clubs are frequent contributors to foreign travel and foreign study programmes.
Visit Scholarship Canada – Canada’s most comprehensive scholarship portal.
International Representatives Class Afloat welcomes application inquiries from students from around the world, we are pleased to work with the following international representatives.
Global Mission Intercâmbios
Tel: +55 61 3248 3422
WhatsApp: +55 61 98477-2222
Torre Norte, Sala 1227
Canada View Consulting Ltd.
Tel: +1 416-578-3227
Columbia and Equador
Study Union (SU) International
Tel: +57 4 266 90 27
Mobile: +57 311 7645993
international EXPERIENCE e.V.
Tel: +49 (0)2246 915 49 16
Hong Kong Overseas Studies Centre
Tel: +(852) 27385923
Fax: +(852) 27302808
Endeavour Tours & Homestay Services
Tel: (902) 830-3645 (Nova Scotia)
Fax: +81-75-394-7670 (Japan)
440 Astral Drive
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Ad Astra International Inc.
Tel: 1-800-700-2244, 5523 0161, 5687 5328, 5636 8009
Por favor póngase en contacto con nosotros directamente o a través de su representante nacional.
The Lemon Tree Education (Madrid)
Tel: +34 910 399 181 | +34 686 897 178
Asesoramiento personalizado en educación internacional.
Travel & Tuition (Barcelona)
Tel: +34 934511072
Rosselló, 194 pral. 2a